Support for Parents of Kids With Special NeedsAugust 27, 2016
Caring For KidsOctober 10, 2016
At Dr. Alfonso J Henriquez pediatrician office we are available to answer your questions! Here you will find a list of organizations dedicated to the care of children :
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Kids Health – includes parents, kids, and teen sites
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) – Traveler’s Health, Common Infectious Diseases, Safety, Public Health
- Safe Kids USA – dedicated to preventing unintentional injury in children
- NetSmartz Workshop – how to stay safer on the internet
- Kidsgrowth.com – includes parents and teen sites
- HealthyChildren.org – AAP parent guidance
- UpToDate – general pediatric and adult medicine information.
- AAP Car safety seats and transportation safety – Car seat information.
Palm Beach Resource:
- 211 Palm Beach/Treasure Coast -211 is a crisis hotline and community helpline. Highly trained and accredited Resource Specialist offer guidance and support in helping teens, adults, families, seniors, caregivers and professionals find the services they need. Free, confidential, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness – The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness is dedicated to providing programs and activities aimed at outreach and education related to health promotion, including all eating disorders, obesity, positive body image, and self-esteem.
- American Association of Caregiving Youth (AACY) – To support caregiving youth from 6th grade through high school with support services in school, out of school and at home so they can have academic and personal success as well as prevents the negative ramifications of caregiving for a family member who is ill, injured, elderly or disabled.
- Arc of Palm Beach County – The Healthy Steps for Young Children is a prevention program that brings an Infant & Child Developmental Specialist into the pediatric primary care setting to provide child and family support services to address the physical, emotional, intellectual growth and development of children from birth to age 3. This program is aimed at enhancing the quality of preventive care for young children. Program services include developmental screening, parent groups and referral and linking the family to community resources.
- Boys Town South Florida – Boys Town provides a continuum of services for children, adolescents, and their families. Several of our key programs include the Behavioral Health Clinic, Primary Project, Parent-Child Home Program, Common Sense Parenting, In-Home Family Program and Care Coordination Services.
- Breastfeeding Coalition of Palm Beach County – BFC: A cooperative network of individuals and organizations dedicated to the positive promotion of breastfeeding through support and education. We offer breastfeeding education for staff in hospitals or doctors’ offices, as well as a current listing of lactation services in Palm Beach County, including hospital lactation centers, private practice IBCLC’s, and breast pump rental depots. Our monthly meetings are an opportunity to network others and stay informed on breastfeeding advocacy in our county.
- Center for Child Counseling – The Center for Child Counseling provides therapeutic services for children, adolescents, and their families. An area of specialty is early childhood mental health, focusing on prevention, early intervention, and treatment of issues for children from birth to age 5.
The Center’s Child and Family Center, located in Palm Beach Gardens, provides individual, group and family therapy for children, adolescents, and families. We offer a holistic, child and family-centered approach to counseling, including ● Individual/Small Group Play Therapy Sessions for Young Children ● Parent-Child Sessions ● Social Skills Groups for Children ● Parenting Support Groups and Workshops ● Individual and Family Therapy for Children, Teens, and Families.
- Chadd – Support group 2nd Tuesday of each month; 7-8:30pm for parents of ADHD children;Professional speakers.
- The Children’s Healing Institute – The Children’s Healing Institute is a local non-profit organization dedicated to preventing child abuse by strengthening families facing crisis, challenge, and change Serving nearly 4,000 families at no charge each year in Palm Beach and Broward Counties, the Institute addresses the issue of child abuse and neglect through early intervention in an effort to ensure the safety and well-being of children in our community. Our prevention programs include Healthy Start (support/care coordination for at-risk pregnant women to promote positive pregnancy, birth & developmental outcomes), TEACUP Preemie program (support for families with a premature infant in the NICU), Bridging Hope (bereavement support and education), and Parent Aide Mentoring (in-home family mentoring support). Our annual educational outreach event, Turn on the Light Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect, is in its 11th year and brings together professionals from varied disciplines to gain knowledge, acquire resources, and strengthen partnerships to better provide for the care and welfare of children and families in our community.
- Child Protection Team of Palm Beach, Inc. – The Child Protection Team of Palm Beach, Inc. (CPT) is a medically-directed, multidisciplinary program that supplements Dept. of Children & Families & law enforcement activities. Formed in 1998, the CPT is an independent 501c3 organization operating as a program of the Florida Dept. of Health, and is mandated by State Statute. The CPT evaluates alleged child abuse & neglect, makes recommendations to protect children & enhances caregivers’ capacity to provide safe environments.
- Children’s Services Council of Palm Beach County – Children’s Services Council provides leadership, funding and research on behalf of the county’s children so they grow up healthy, safe and strong. We focus on prenatal health and early childhood development so more children are born healthy, are safe from abuse and neglect, are ready to learn when they enter school and have access to quality afterschool programming. We accomplish these goals by funding local nonprofit and other agencies to provide proven, high-quality services to our county’s children and their families.
- Drowning Prevention Coalition of Palm Beach County – Provide free, land-based water safety presentations to audiences of all ages, offer water safety swim lessons to nonswimming resident children ages 3-12 who are either special need or receive certain government assistance. Attend health and safety fairs to disseminate water safety and drowning prevention information to the public.
- Family Central, Inc – Family Central, Inc. provides child care resource and referral services , as well as administration of VPK (Voluntary Prekindergarten) in Palm Beach County.
- FL Department of Health of Palm Beach County – Florida Department of Health in Palm Beach County – services include WIC and community health promotion
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition of P.B.C. – Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies provides education and access to care for pregnant women in Palm Beach County.
- Home Safe – Free Developmental Screenings and assessments for children ages 0-5.
- Infant Swimming Resource – ISR is the leader in self-rescue lessons to children from ages 6 months to 6+ years. Instructors may be found by going to www.infantswim.com and entering their zip code or country of interest. Local ISR instructors work closely with area Pediatric offices trying to work with local families preventing drowning.
- Kids Cancer Foundation – The Kids Cancer Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit who provides hope and support to local children and their families battling childhood cancer. We accomplish this by providing compassionate and easily accessible supportive services.
- YMCA of South Palm Beach County – We build healthy kids, healthy families, and healthy communities.