Expectant MothersDecember 14, 2016
Are you a new parent wondering when to introduce solid foods? Follow these guidelines for feeding babies solid foods.February 1, 2017
Swaddling: A Guide for New Parents
As the months lead you in becoming a new parent, you will try to prepare yourself as much as you can. You probably will find a wealth of information and conflicting opinions regarding a variety of parenting issues. One of the issues that you will need to know the truth about is swaddling. Is it safe for newborns? Would it help your baby sleep? Here, we lay out key information about swaddling.
Swaddling Is Safe When Done Correctly
If you want to help your baby calm down and sleep peacefully, swaddling can help. While it does not come without risk, swaddling is an effective method to soothe your baby when you follow the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) guidelines:
- Lay the blanket flat with a single corner folded down.
- Place your baby on the blanket face up with the head above the corner.
- Straighten your baby’s left arm then wrap the blanket’s left corner over the body, tucking it between the right side of the body and right arm.
- Tuck your baby’s right arm down then fold the blanket’s right corner over the body and under the left side.
- Twist or fold the bottom of the blanket and loosely tuck it under one side.
- Ensure your baby can move his or her hips–don’t make the blanket too tight.
Remember to practice AAP safe sleep recommendations to prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
We are always here for our patients, if you have any questions contact the office of SuraMed Health Center PA at 561-275-7100. Our friendly staff will assist you with any questions or concerns.